Move in Day

On Thursday, September 1st, I packed up the car with most of my belongings I would be taking to college with me. It was a real-life game of Tetris, but we managed to fit it all in one car, aside from my clothes and a couple shoe racks. It also started raining during that time, so I didn’t enjoy it very much. Not that packing is ever fun, but it was actually exciting until it started raining.

 Friday morning, I woke up way too early for my liking, which was probably at 7am. I took my last hot shower at home, then packed up the rest of the little things that I was forgetting. I went downstairs and ate my breakfast, though I wasn’t actually that hungry because I was so nervous. I also had to make time to say goodbye to my dog, and it was probably the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever done because she thought we were just leaving for another vacation, but little did she know I wouldn’t be coming back for a while. Once I was done crying over that, I got in the car — a bit later than I had originally wanted to — and we drove to Eastern. The entire drive I was half-joking with my mom that we missed the turn to go back home so I didn’t have to leave, but she never turned around.

 Once we got to the campus, it was packed with people and it made me want to leave more than ever. I just wanted to go back home and sleep longer and never leave home again. There were people handing out candy, so I tried to make myself happy by saying that they could do that all the time and I would like it there, but I wasn’t convincing anyone, not even myself.

 My mom & I unpacked a few things from the car and went to go check in and get my keys. I went in the building, and I had no idea what to do because it was my first time ever being in the building. There was a table with two people and they asked me what room I would be in, so I said 111 and they directed me to go into the room that was across from them, so I did. In the meantime, my mom had to just stand in the hallway because she wasn’t allowed to go past a certain point. I went into the room, they asked me again what room I would be in, I told them again, they gave me a paper and told me to go to the next table, so I did. Those people also asked me what room, so I repeated myself for the 3rd time, and they directed me to another table. At this point I was so annoyed with the process that I wanted to leave even more than I had before. Finally, after 5 tables, I got my key and I signed the paper saying I was committed for the entire year.

 My mom and I walked up to my room with a backpack each, and I found the room perfectly fine, but I couldn’t get the door open. Silly me, I was trying to open it like a normal door. But no, apparently you have to turn the key and then just push open the door, never turning the handle like you would think. Anyway, once I was actually in the room, we started filling out the damage paper so I don’t get charged for anything at the end of the year. Turns out, there was a lot wrong with the room. From cracks in the ceiling, to a chunk of wood missing from one of the dressers, and a 3-inch dent in the wall, I wrote down every little thing I could find wrong with the room.

 I wanted my side of the room arranged differently than they had it set up, so I tried doing it on my own and I couldn’t get the dresser to move; we thought maybe it was bolted to the floor. I was immediately more overwhelmed because it was just another thing going wrong, and it hadn’t even reached 10:00 in the morning. Thankfully some student helpers came and moved the furniture for me, and they talked to me and calmed me down a little bit.

 We started unpacking all of my things and my roommate Olivia showed up also. There was 8 people in a 12×12 foot room, which wasn’t the most fun, but we managed. Around noon, we decided to go to the picnic lunch the university was providing. It wasn’t very good, but I also wasn’t expecting it to be. After that, we had to go catch a bus to take us to the football field for orientation. That was going to be the last time I could see my family, so we all said goodbye. My mom gave me a hug and I lost it. I started regretting my decision to live on campus yet again, and I just wanted her to take me home, but she wouldn’t.

 Orientation was boring, and both Olivia and I just wanted to get back to our room so we could arrange our belongings. Once we found out that the busses ran every half an hour, we got out of that football stadium quickly. The bus we ended up catching probably wasn’t our safest idea; there were about 40 people trying to fit onto a bus with maybe 15 seats on it. About 15 people were standing, 2 of those people being Olivia and me. Every time the bus turned a corner we would slide around, and the bus driver slammed on the breaks a few too many times. Overall, not the best experience.

 Olivia & I both ended up taking showers as soon as we got back because it was so hot out that day, and we arranged a few things, but I just ended up Facetiming my mom, crying about how I didn’t want to be there anymore.

My first night, I probably got 4 hours of sleep, and I wanted to cry as soon as I woke up. All in all, move in day was not my favorite day. My immediate feeling was that I didn’t like it and I wanted to go back home. I thought I would never like it and I just wanted to sleep in my own bed. I basically hated the college that I was going to be stuck at for 8 months.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s