First Week of college

After my first night on campus, getting only 4 hours of sleep, I was extremely ready to go back home. There were 4 scheduled days of orientation; the first day of it was move in day, so we were on to Day 2. Breakfast was at 8:00 in the morning and it was not good food at all. We did other boring things throughout the day; the entire day I was on the verge of tears because of how much I hated being on campus.

The third day, breakfast once again was at 8:00 in the morning. I don’t know who came up with that schedule, but I didn’t appreciate it.Once again, breakfast wasn’t good food. We also did very boring things that day as well, so Olivia and I slipped out part of the way through the day. I still called my mom crying about how much I hated it, and I was convinced that it was actually the campus and I didn’t feel like I belonged there. I was crying about how I made the wrong decision to go to EMU and I didn’t want to go anymore. I was begging my mom to bail me out. I tried telling her I would never ask her for anything ever again, I told her I would take her on a vacation to anywhere in the world she wanted to go to, if she would just get me out of college.She obviously didn’t go for it.

Finally, on the fourth day, which was Monday, they let us sleep in until 10:00! This day sounded very boring, but we didn’t want to be stuck in our room all day, so we went to orientation once again and it turned out to be a little bit fun. Also on this day, one of my suitemates, Marissa, texted me and said that we should hang out and actually meet each other. We finally met, after 4 days of sharing a bathroom and never meeting. Olivia and I were going to get ice from the basement, so we casually went over through the bathroom and asked if either of them wanted to join us. Marissa took the offer, and Gabby stayed back because she had homework already (even though classes weren’t starting for another 2 days) I thought it was strange, too.

Once we got back to our rooms, we were going to play cards, so Marissa and Gabby joined us for that as well. Gabby ended up trying to teach us to play euchre, and it didn’t go very well. She left eventually to go do her homework again, so Marissa, Olivia and I played Uno by ourselves. It was a pretty fun night and  it was the first night I didn’t completely want to leave. We also ended up feeling like we were starving around 11:30pm , so we ordered pizza and had it delivered because we had a 40% off coupon to last us through the entire year. That night turned out to be a lot of fun and it was kind of a turning point to my experience in college.

I hit another little bump in the road when my classes started,  specifically my math class. I was very overwhelmed with it all, mainly because the professor said how everything should be review and it was all completely new to me. He gave us a lot of homework on the first day and I wasn’t expecting it, so I got even more overwhelmed because I  didn’t have the book to do the homework. Thankfully somebody let me take pictures of her book so I was able to do the homework.

Through the rest of the week, one thing stayed the same. Marissa, Gabby, Olivia, and I all played cards every single night. We all shared stories about our lives and things we’ve been through, and it was very therapeutic to be that comfortable with people we had just met earlier that week. Little did I know that I would become even more close with Marissa…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s